Thursday, March 24

corned beef salad w cornichons, walnuts & boiled eggs

open my mum-in-laws fridge & you will find a container with her cooked corned beef...she prepares the meat over the weekend & my dad-in-law grazes on it during the week.  i have started this little tradition in our home...not every week but certainly ever other week!  it is one of the most reasonable cuts of meat available & when it is simmering away in the slow cooker the house smells very homely...to me.
my weeknight meal...
corned beef sliced thick & pan-fried w baby spinach, toasted walnuts, cornichons & boiled eggs
...drizzle some good olive oil over & finish w cracked black pepper.
if you have some aged cheddar, cut a wedge & put it on the side...or also add some pickled onions - the salad can then be called a ploughmans salad!!

3 comments:

john@heneedsfood said...

Such a tasty tradition! This just may solve a few of my mid-week dinner woes

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Cornichons and any type of salted meat work in my world! I also think it's a wonderfully romantic thing to have food traditions, especially those which are passed on from generation to generation =)

DolceBunnie said...

i think your blog is amazing. it's the first website i jump onto when i get home every night.