my friend adrienne makes fabulous desserts! she was designated dessert maker at a recent girl get-together with her apple & date cake winning all our hearts! the next day my girls had her cake for breakfast & matt devoured several slices too!
the cake is incredibly moist & the caramelly coconut topping is delicious!
Apple & Date Cake
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- Topping - 60g unsalted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 2 tablespoons milk
1. Place apples, dates and soda in a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand until cool.
2. Beat butter and sugar together in another bowl until pale and creamy. Blend in egg and vanilla.
3. Fold flour and apple mixture alternately into creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 23cm spring-form tin. Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees) for 45 minutes.
4. To preapre topping: place butter, sugar, coconut and milk in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
5. Remove cake from oven. Spread topping evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until topping is golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool completely in tin. Carefully remove sides of the tin. Serve in wedges with thick cream or icecream.